Heat Pump Services in Minneapolis-St.Paul
If you’re looking for a versatile, reliable, and energy-efficient way to heat and cool your Minnesota home, consider installing a heat pump. With a single piece of equipment—plus a backup heat source for the very coldest nights—you can keep your home comfortable all year round.
“Serving all of Minneapolis & St. Paul Area.
Heat Pump is what we do! Call Us Today!”
What is a Heat Pump?
A heat pump is a piece of HVAC equipment that moves heat using electricity and refrigerant. If this sounds familiar, that’s because air conditioners work the same way. The difference is that heat pumps have a reversing switch, allowing them to move heat in the other direction. As a result, heat pumps function like high-efficiency air conditioners in the summer, removing heat from your home and exhausting it outside. Then, they operate in reverse during the winter, extracting heat from outdoor air and bringing it inside.
Heat pumps can operate with incredible efficiency in the winter because they move heat rather than generating it from a fuel source. The only issue lies in extracting heat from sub-freezing air. To keep your home comfortable when it dips below 32 degrees F outside, you need electric resistance heating as a backup heat source. Installing a furnace as a backup heater is another option, creating what’s called a dual-fuel system.
There are three primary types of heat pumps:
- Air-source heat pumps: These are the most common type of heat pump. They look and function the same as AC units, with an outdoor condensing unit and indoor evaporator coil.
- Geothermal heat pumps: If you have enough land and the ideal soil conditions, installing a geothermal heat pump may be an option. Because the temperature 10 feet below the surface remains relatively constant at 50 to 60 degrees F, geothermal units can heat and cool your home with incredible efficiency. In fact, the EPA touts geothermal technology as the most efficient, environmentally friendly, and cost-effective option for home heating and cooling.
- Ductless heat pumps: Homes without ductwork can enjoy efficient, convenient, zoned heating and cooling in the form of ductless mini-splits. A single outdoor condensing unit connects to one or more wall-mounted indoor air handlers, allowing you to keep each room the optimal temperature in every season—no ductwork required!
Our Heat Pump Services
Call on Blue Ox for heat pump services in Minneapolis-St. Paul. We offer:
- Heat pump maintenance: To ensure a full season of comfortable, efficient operation, schedule a heat pump tune-up every spring and autumn. We’ll make sure the system is performing at its peak, and we’ll correct any problems as they develop to help prevent midseason breakdowns.
- Heat pump repair: While routine maintenance can keep your heat pump up and running all year long, we’re here to help whenever you need a repair. We even offer after-hours services on evenings and weekends, so give us a call anytime!
- Heat pump installation and replacement: The most important day in a heat pump’s life is the day it’s installed. Let the professionals at Blue Ox help you select a new heat pump, either as a first-time installation or replacement project. Our experts won’t call it a job well done until we’re sure everything is working properly and you’re 100% satisfied with our work.